My photo
Kill Devil Hills, NC, United States
Trying to connect my present with the past in order to fly through the future.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

AM

Waking up early on a Saturday morning used to be the goal of many kids in my generation.The other part of 'many kids' needed to sleep until noon. I was in the early group, my sister was the noon group.  You should see the picture I have of her sleeping at grandma's on a pull out sofa...that's another story for another time. TeeHee.

When I discovered the secret of Saturday morning I needed to be part of it. After all, it only happened on that one day, at that one time.  Saturday morning cartoons. Bugs, Road Runner, Tom & Jerry, Popeye.  Hanna Barbara and the Krofft brothers ruled my life. Live action 'cartoons', Sigmund the Sea Monster, The Bugaloos, HR Pufnstuff made feeling part of fantasy easier than the drawings.

This morning, I woke up early, and with growing sadness, all discovered on the 150 channels on the television was something called Paid Programming. Sharks, counter top ovens, vacuums, choppers, saws, ladders, my head was spinning.

I felt sad that kids these days had nothing to do while their parents slept in. Oh, yeah, Nickelodeon and Disney are there on the round of channels that you can pick up at anytime, Spongebob, Bob, the Builder, Ed, Edd, and Eddy, Hannah Montana that are on ALL THE TIME.

But have you really watched them? I think we need to bring back the 'kids programs'. Kids problems, kids solutions, kids themes. Bathroom humor and humor that adults understand, that kids do not but still laugh, need to be sent back to the bathroom and the adults minds. Kids are not kids long enough.

I'm gonna go find Harmony, Johnny, Scott & Sigmund, Jimmy & Freddie, Electra Woman & Dyna Girl...

Have Fun Searching...

No comments:

Post a Comment