My photo
Kill Devil Hills, NC, United States
Trying to connect my present with the past in order to fly through the future.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Kindness Year

Today's featured odd holiday is not so odd. It is something that should be acted upon everyday, in my opinion. Today is "Random Acts of Kindness Day". I think it is truly sad that we have to set aside ONE day to TELL people to be nice to someone. I think kindnesses should be practiced everyday, if possible. Do you know what a random act of kindness is? The way the world seems, less than 5% do. Let's start a movement. Let's make 2010 Random Acts of Kindness Month. Help someone pick up their dropped groceries, hold open a door for someone, when on the highway, move over at the entrance ramps when another car is trying to com onto the highway. Little things mean alot.

The Historical Event that caught my eye today was an event during WWI involving a Zeppelin dirigible.  Yes, for those of you who know me, I am choosing a war event.  The Zeppelin L-4 (that is like The RyanThe Spirit of St. Louis for Lindbergh) crashed into the North Sea during a snow storm.  Now I am not interested in the Zeppelin for its war efforts, but for the fact that I LOVE Hot Air Balloons. I am quite fascinated by balloon flight and cannot wait to take my turn in a balloon.

Many of my favorite scenes in books and movies involve balloons...Around the World in 80 Days, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and yes, I made an exception to my 'cartoon' rule and watched Up. WHEEEE!

If you have never heard the term Zeppelin, dirigible or airship before, I can't believe there is anyone out there who has not hear the term blimp, go to your favorite search engine (or library) and type in any of those words, or maybe, Hindenburg. You will maybe find a new fascination with the skies. If you don't want to take the time to search, here is a link to one of my collectibles that features a Zeppelin on the packaging. http://www.handmedownhaven.com/product/AR10104.

No comments:

Post a Comment