My photo
Kill Devil Hills, NC, United States
Trying to connect my present with the past in order to fly through the future.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Carol Burnett

Monday nights at the Duckett house was always a grand time. It was Carol Burnett night (I think it was Monday nights, but Sundays seem right too). Even as young as we were, we loved Carol. At the end of each show, she sent a silent message and we wanted to come up with one to send to Mom too.

You never knew what was going to be said in a Carol Burnett sketch, but when she said "Let's turn up the lights" you never knew what was going to come out of the mouths of the audience.

And those clothes. The sketch costumes never really seemed dated, but when the audience appeared on camera, watch out for those 60's & 70's fashions and THE HAIR. My favorites: The Hair Tower. Now, we cringe when a tall man (or woman) walks down the aisle at the theater, praying to Dionysus that he does not sit in front of you. Back in the 70's, you pleaded to Bacchus that the lady with the tower hair didn't sit in front of you.

I loved Tim Conway and was surprised to learn (during my research for this blog post) that he was only a regular during the final 4 of the 11 seasons. Tim replaced Lyle Waggoner, which I always believed was the other way around. Humpf, goes to show what you really remember.

Of course everyone loved "Mama's Family". I liked it well enough but I didn't understand why they always seemed to hate each other so much. It seemed unrealistic to my naive eyes and ears. I always liked the segments where she performed a two hour movie in 15 minutes or less... Laura, Mildred Fierce...cracked me up. Of course, I usually hadn't seen the parodied movies. Tell me true, what was your favorite 'sketch' on The Greatest Variety Show EVER?

Okay, what does this have to do with HandMeDowns? Weeellll....Do you remember the closing animation with the cleaning lady? I happened to find that rear-end at a yard sale and got it for a cheap price....NO! I am not ready to place it on the web store yet, but y'all will be the first to know when it is available!

Have Fun Searching!

2 comments:

  1. Had the wonderful opportunity to meet Auntie P and her mom today in Asheville, NC. Funny thing, we all hail from the same part of New York State.

    If you believe Auntie P has character, you need to meet her mom! She is a fire cracker of personality, brazen, airy, delightful, eccletic, sincere, humerous and absolutely devine.

    Auntie P, I believe is more flamboyant, creative, artistic and demure. Her glasses, one of kind, said it all.

    I sincerely hope I will have the opportunity to get to know these two wonderful women again. They are truly memorable.

    And.... if you ever wanted to know why there are only two people in the world who are named "Debora", it is because their parents just didn't know how to spell it.

    Best regards,
    Debora M. II

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Debora you have made the day of those two women!!!! Leaving a comment! How classy! We really can get together. We already are friends!!!! Marion

    ReplyDelete