My photo
Kill Devil Hills, NC, United States
Trying to connect my present with the past in order to fly through the future.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Ice Cream

The Ice Cream Man. What ever happened to him? When I was a kid, you could hear the Good Humor man driving down the next block over. Kid would scatter, “MOOOOOM!” could be heard (probably) for miles.

Our “development” consisted of a myriad of culs-de-sac off a long main street (appropriately named Longview Drive). When we heard the ice cream music blasting from the cul-de-sac behind our house we knew it was just a matter of minutes before it was our turn to make the Good Humor Man happy and vice versa. Sometimes, Mom relented and gave us each some change to pick our favorite.

Until today, I never knew that the kids mantra on those days,  “I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream”, was a real song written by a man named Howard Johnson in January, 1928. AND there are other words.  They don’t really make much sense to me, but, whatever. Ya gotta learn somt’in ever day!

BTW, thanks for letting me relive moments in my history (and maybe yours) by following this blog…
Patti

P.S. My faves were Dreamsicle and Chocolate Éclair. They just don’t always taste the same from a box in my freezer as they did from the man in white.

No comments:

Post a Comment