My photo
Kill Devil Hills, NC, United States
Trying to connect my present with the past in order to fly through the future.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Lizzie Borden

Lizzie Borden is one of my favorite characters in history. Favorite because she and her story was so misunderstood.  I suppose that I first became intrigued, as most children do, listening to her “poem”

Lizzie Borden took an ax,
Gave her mother forty wacks,
When she’d seen what she had done,
Gave her father forty-one.

A few years later I came across a book titled Lizzie Borden; The Legend, The Truth, The Final Chapter by Arnold R. Brown. I consider this my favorite reference book of the story of Lizzie Borden and her family. Now that I mention it, I haven't read a good Lizzie biography in a while...anyone want to join me at the bookstore?

Borden’s home (yes the one the murders were committed in) is open as a bed and breakfast with room rates running $150-$250/night depending on the room and time of year. Some may feel that is a little steep of a price to pay just for the possibility of being awakened in the night by a ghost. If so, but you still would like to see what the house is alike, you can buy a ticket to tour the house for the low, low price of $12.50 (or less, depending on your age). I would love to stay in the house…but I can’t see spending that kind of money. The tour would be good, but I would be afraid they would be lean toward the guilty Lizzie story and I am not sure I could keep my mouth from saying “SHE WAS INNOCENT!!!”

If you would like to read more on Lizzie Borden, I do recommend this book and several others, just type in Lizzie Borden into your favorite bookstore database. Or, if you would like something more…artistic, there are a few websites you can visit… The Lizzie Andrew Borden Virtual Museum & Library.  

Today marks the 117th anniversary of Lizzie's acquittal.

No comments:

Post a Comment