My photo
Kill Devil Hills, NC, United States
Trying to connect my present with the past in order to fly through the future.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

HB, CC!

I remember my first introduction to Dirk Pitt. I listened to Michael Prichard read the descriptive words of Clive Cussler’s Atlantis Found  through my car speakers on my way back and forth to work. I wonder if Mr. Cussler knew when he wrote the first Dirk novel, The Mediterranean Caper in 1973 that he was creating a heart-throb for women at the same time he was creating an action hero for men. I would be willing to bet he had no clue that more than 30 years later that he and Mr. Pitt would have such a large female fan base.

Unknown to me, Atlantis Found was Mr. Cussler’s 15th Dirk Pitt novel. He is my favorite fictional character. You can have your Harry Potter that relies upon magic and your  Edward or Jacob relying upon death and immortality. I will take realistic Dirk Pitt who relies upon his intelligence, wit and, yes, good looks.  

While reading the Dirk Pitt stories, I always try and pick someone who would play the books characters on screen. I always had a problem with Dirk. His perfection and imperfections were always hard to figure. When I found out that they had already made a Cussler novel into a movie. Raise the Titanic! Starred Richard Jordan as Dirk and, according to IMDB.com, there was no sidekick Al…sorry, no Al=weak Dirk. I understand the movie was a flop and Clive Cussler decided to not sell his rights to his stories.

Fortunately, 25 years later, he did. A nearly perfect actor/character match. Matthew McConaughey as Dirk Pitt. Dirk melted my heart on paper, Matthew melted my heart on screen. When the two met in the Clive Cussler movie to screen Sahara, I could hardly breathe. I did not read the novel before the movie and still have not, I should, if just to see if the movie stayed true to the book. I did LOVE the movie, even though I despise Penny Cruz and I do not think that they cast the right Al.

Dirk and Clive, I wish I had discovered in the 1973 when you first appeared. You are now up to 21 novels and I believe I am half way through. I can hardly wait for Crescent Dawn.

Happy Birthday, Clive Cussler!

No comments:

Post a Comment