My photo
Kill Devil Hills, NC, United States
Trying to connect my present with the past in order to fly through the future.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Watermelon Day

When we lived on Princess Anne, that would be between 1972 and 1978, we were the place to play. Maybe because we were cool (at least in our little minds) but mostly probably because we had this giant side yard. We held a MD carnival once in the side yard, I have no idea how much we raised, I just remember having fun.

One time, we hosted a watermelon party. All the watermelon you could eat (until it ran out that is). One of the favorite events was the seed spitting contest. I could never win, I think Mom ruled. All of the kids loved it! I can still see the Fishers, Bill, the Knees and the Dowds and the rest spitting watermelon seeds into a big trash can.

Games were a big thing on the sac. Stick ball, kick ball, Red Rover. Memories….Sardines, races down the hill on anything with wheels (mostly bikes and roller skates)...All alone in the moon light…. Red light, Green light. Swinging Statues…sigh…

What kind of things will kids these days look back and remember in the next 20 years?

No comments:

Post a Comment