My photo
Kill Devil Hills, NC, United States
Trying to connect my present with the past in order to fly through the future.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Yes, I am Tearing Up

Today is Gene Autry's birthday. Well, not so special really it happens every year about this time, well, at least since 1907. Why am I excited about Gene Autry's Birthday. I am not really. I did learn that he sang Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty, the Snowman and he not only sang but he wrote Here Comes Santa Claus...I love Christmas songs. During my 'research' I also discovered he (along with hundreds of others, sang You Are My Sunshine, one of my mother and grandmother's favorite songs.

How can someone NOT like that song? Anything that includes the words sunshine, happy and love has got to be good.

My grandmother came to live with us before she died. I can remember coming in the house from doing 'chores' at The Little Retreat and hearing some odd singing. I followed the singing, recognized the song and headed straight for the little bedroom off the 'lobby'. Grandma was sitting in her chair with her head against the back of the chair, her eyes closed and a pair of headphones on. She sang along with the cassette in her machine, nearly at the top of her lungs. I am sure she was unaware that she was 'singing out loud'.

"...Please don't take my sunshine away." I started to back away, I didn't want her to feel like she was being watched but she never opened her eyes, her hand just reached over to the table and pressed the rewind button. A few seconds later, " You are my sunshine, my only sunshine..."

I love that song!

No comments:

Post a Comment