My photo
Kill Devil Hills, NC, United States
Trying to connect my present with the past in order to fly through the future.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Plan Ahead

Today is Plan Your Epitaph Day.


Yeah, I know that may seem morbid, but if you think about it, who do you really trust to do it for you? What would they want all for generations to come to read on your headstone? What would you want? 
This person wrote their own, presumably: "I told you I was sick!" (Headstone in GA cemetery) 


I cannot be sure, but I think someone else wrote this particular one, but I couldn't think of anything more fitting:  "That's all, folks!" (Mel Blanc)


Here is someone's idea of a joke, I think. "Stranger! Approach this spot with gravity! John Brown is filling his last cavity!" (unknown dentist). 


One of my favorites is 



The body of Benjamin Franklin, printer (like the cover of an old book, its 
contents worn out, and stript of its lettering and gilding) lies here, food for 
worms. Yet the work itself shall not lost, for it will, as he 
believed, appear once more In a new and more beautiful 
edition, corrected and amended by its Author 

Do you think Mr. Franklin believed in reincarnation? I do. He wrote his own epitaph. 

This one was written by someone other than the tombstone owner. I believe the writer was a little upset:  "Murdered by a traitor and a coward whose name is not worthy to appear here" Jesse James.

Since, I don't plan on dying anytime soon, I think I will wait on mine. Maybe then I will have something more interesting to work with. Maybe by then I will have written something worth remembering. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment