My photo
Kill Devil Hills, NC, United States
Trying to connect my present with the past in order to fly through the future.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Indy

Today marks the 99th anniversary of the running of the first Indianapolis 500. I personally do not watch the I500, I don’t know why, I guess I just prefer stock cars over open wheel.

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway was originally a tar over gravel surface. Shortly after it opened (and several deaths due to the unseemly surface) Carl Fisher, principal owner of the speedway, encouraged a new surface. By May 30, 1911, 3.2 million bricks had been laid and the the Indianapolis 500 was born.

Now, you might just think I am running a little history lesson here, but you would be a little wrong. I tell this little story only because I am reliving a ‘childhood’ memory. Up the street lived a boy who had five sisters. His name was (is) Carl Fisher. I am forced to wonder…is he related? He would have to be…don’t you think it is a weird coincidence? I do..I think I will work on his genealogy… For now, I’ll…

Have Fun Searching!

No comments:

Post a Comment