My photo
Kill Devil Hills, NC, United States
Trying to connect my present with the past in order to fly through the future.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Yesterday, as we were heading into town down one of our favorite shortcuts, I saw a couple of kitties begin to skitter away from the dirt road. Then I realized that they weren't just skittering away, one had jumped up to climb a tree.

I slowed my car and inched forward to get a better look at the 'wild' kitties. While scanning the tree for it, I saw a flash of tail. A fluffy tail. A fluffy tail...with rings.

These skittering animals weren't cats. They were raccoons. I thought they were young ones, Mom thought they were adults. In any case, they were adorable. I never found the second one, but the first had found a cross-branch about ten feet up and peered around the trunk of the tree at us.

He watched us with a scared and curious eye. I wish I knew what was going on in his head. Did the cute little thing know that I thought he was cute? That I wanted to just reach out and cuddle him, scratch him behind his ears and to give him a warm place to sleep?

I guess not, he didn't come down to accept my offer. Apparently, I am not Laura Ingalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment