My photo
Kill Devil Hills, NC, United States
Trying to connect my present with the past in order to fly through the future.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Classic Movies

Okay, I have been informed by one of you I am not posting enough here. So, I will do my best to fill my mini vacation/long weekend with mini essays of HandMeDown Thoughts.... For now I thought I would share another Saturday morning 'ritual'. 

Dad used to enjoy Saturday morning old black and white movies usually from the 1940s and 50s. Today, Charlie Chan In Meeting at Midnight or Black Magic. If you have never seen one, I recommend one. They are a little low on action, high on humor, usually a good plot and quite family friendly.

I don't think that either of my sisters took up the fondness of old movies. It is really sad that some people will throw a blanket out and refuse to watch a movie if it is not in color. I just cringe at the thought at not knowing movies like It's a Wonderful Life, Dracula, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Citizen Kane. Abbott and Costello, The Thin Man, Katharine Hepburn, George Cukor.

There are almost 100 years of movies that were made in black and white. That is thousands of movies that many people refuse to watch because of reasons beyond my comprehension. I recommend that if you haven't given classic films a chance, please do. Don't know where to start? Wikipedia has a grand list of Top films by decade, by award winner, by almost any breakdown you may want. Netflix too has great searching power. Or, I can try and give it a shot for you.

Recommended HandMeDown Product: A Pictoral History of the Talkies

No comments:

Post a Comment