My photo
Kill Devil Hills, NC, United States
Trying to connect my present with the past in order to fly through the future.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Space History

Today is the 50th anniversary of manned spaceflight.

I believe I have always been interested in outerspace. Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Lost in Space, Star Trek with Dad, oh, all those campy B-movies....Star Wars....

Then came the beginning of the Space Shuttle Program. While my friends continuoulsly knocked upon my sliding glass door I protested their pleas for me to come out. I would be out later, I said. I need to see history. On the television I watched the space shuttle, this awesome looking 'airplane' attached to the back of a 747 flying across the country. It is a 'picture' I will never forget.

On the 'eve' of the shutdown of the shuttle program, I find myself wondering what is to come next. Is our governments lack of abilty to manage our money going to stop the fantasy dreams children of all ages have of travelling and living on the moon, Mars or even in on a space station in outer space. Let's hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment